In some endgame instances Crowd Control (CC for short) can be crucial, and understanding the effects of different forms of CC is important for all players in the group. The objective of this guide is to lay out the basics of CC in order to help those who play classes that have less access to CC, and therefore might have trouble understanding what different effects do, what breaks them, and so on.
• Causes the enemy to flee in terror, running away from the caster. During this time they are unable to attack.
• If the target is in the vicinity of any allies when the fear expires, they will join the battle, even if they were not in combat beforehand.
• They tend to last between 15 and 20s.
• Broken by damaging attacks, but DoTs that have been applied earlier to the target have only a small chance of breaking it.
• Fears can be overwritten by roots, dazes and stuns. (Don’t know if they can be overwritten by other fears.)
• Examples of this effect can be the Minstrel’s Invocation of Elbereth, or the Hunter’s Bard’s Arrow.
• (This effect is not to be confused with the many debuffs/DoTs that player characters may get, which are represented with purple icons, and are sometimes removable with purple pots.)
• Causes the target to be stuck in place, effectively rooted to the ground. This means that if the target has ranged attacks, or castable abilities, it will still be able to perform those. Melee targets can still hit you if you get within range.
• Last between 15 and 30s.
• Have a 25%-50% chance to be broken by damage.
• Roots can be overwritten by a daze or a stun, but not by a fear or another root.
• Examples of this can be the Lore-master’s Herb Lore, or the Hunter’s Rain of Thorns.
• Target cannot move or act.
• Broken by damage.
• This is most common form of CC used to incapacitate a troublesome enemy during an entire fight.
• Last for 5s-30s.
• Dazes can be overwritten by fears, roots, dazes and stuns. Given that many dazes have durations that are equal or longer than their cooldowns, they can be “refreshed” indefinitely.
• Examples of this can be the Lore-master’s Blinding Flash, and the Burglar’s Riddle.
This is how a target looks when dazed. It has a sort of white circle around the head.
• Target cannot move or act.
• This is the type of CC most commonly found in the game, and most classes have access to it.
• Stuns have a set duration, which can be seen on the tooltip of the skill that applies the stun.
• Unaffected by damage.
• They last between 3s and 8.5s.
• Upon expiration, target is granted a Temporary State Immunity. (More on that later)
• Cannot be overwritten by fears, roots, dazes or stuns.
• Examples of this can be the Champion’s Horn of Gondor, or the Guardian’s Bash.
This is how a target looks when stunned. Little stars over its head.
Given that the same icon is used to represent different things, it is important to make the distinction between Permanent Immunity, and Temporary State Immunity.
• Present in virtually all bosses.
• Makes target immune to fears, roots, dazes and stuns. In general, they seem not to be immune to Fellowship Maneuvers, however. (For all other intents and purposes Fellowship Maneuvers behave as stuns.)
Temporary State Immunity:
• Buff received by enemies immediately after being stunned.
• Makes target immune to stuns. They are not, however, immune to fears, roots and dazes (unless the target is inherently immune to those effects). This allows players to cycle different types of CC. For instance, if you need to daze a target, but your daze has 5s left on its cooldown, you can use a stun to buy time, knowing that the consequential immunity won’t apply to dazes.
• Has a duration of 10s, regardless of the duration of the stun. This is the reason why many times it is best not to stun a target if another group member can provide a longer stun.
(This is only important for the people who are in charge of the CC)
• Makes target immune to all CC.
• Applied during the last second of the duration of a daze or a stun.
• Is important to know because if you must perma-daze a target, and the duration of the daze is about to expire, you might want to wait for the daze to expire completely before you re-apply it. If you hit your daze exactly on the last second of the duration, you will get no effect, and your skill will go on cooldown.
• Refers to the time between the application of the CC, and the moment when it begins to be breakable.
• For example, the Lore-master skill Bane Flare has a grace period of 4s. This means that during the first 4s after its application, it is not breakable. In a sense, it behaves as a 4s stun (except that it bypasses Temporary State Immunity).
• This effect probably accounts for why many players confuse dazes with stuns, as they somewhat behave the same during the first few seconds.
• If used correctly, this can be abused to keep enemies perma-CCed, even while taking damage. For instance, the Lore-master yellow line trait Firm Grasp adds 3s to the grace period of almost all CC skills. This means that you might stun a target, when the stun expires you can root it (gaining another 4s), then you can daze it with Bane Flare (gaining another 7s). By the time the grace period expires, you can stun the target again. Just make sure you don’t hit it in the last second, and get your stun nullified by the Recovering effect.
Odonath: If you are crashing after logging in screen, switch to 32 bit. The update messed up 64 bit for me.
Odonath: Hey guys, trouble logging in.
Celordal: Full kin clear of Anvil T2 tonight -- hooray!
Celordal: 5/27/19 First 100% kinnie Anvil T1 completion!
Gnix: Anice will doom us all! I feel bewitched!
Gnix: Anice spoiled us all!
Anice: 2/18/19 - First completion of Anvil T1!
Joel: I will be on Anor for most of today. If anyone is on the Legendary Server and would like to be a part of the kin on there, send a /tell to Shasta.
Anice: Made it through boss 1 of Thikil T3 a little while ago as well! I'm calling that a win :)
Celordal: Bitz, Cel, & Maghir completed T2 Thrumfall a couple of days ago!
Celordal: Bitz, Cel, & Naffan completed Glimmerdeep T3 tonight!
Celordal: First kin completion of Thikil T2 tonight!
Joel: RunicKnights has now been set up on Ithil!
Celordal: Thanks to Salyia & Asterus for your help in completing Glimmerdeep T2!
Ootinni: You can't handle TotDT t2c!
Greatli: Lets do Throne of the Dread Terror T2 Guys!
Celordal: Got the gate open in Abyss T2 on Sunday August 12th!
Celordal: Runic Knights had our first successful Abyss T1 clear on July 22, 2018!