The 2018 Summer Festival includes two new instances. One is an endgame scaleable fellowship version of the Thrang fight from the original rift raid. This is an initial introduction and tactical discussion of the fight. If you are not familiar with the Thrang fight, it occurs in the lava floor arena that the rift skirmish ends in.
You will enter the instance from the top of the arena on the side that's actually over the exit from the rift version. Jump down and you will see a "remembrance" on the ground near the center fire puddle. Click on that remembrance to get quests (yes this is a new mechanic).
After everyone has gotten the quests, move around the arena on the outside (Left is better imho) until you are in the last solid ground area before you cross the lava to get to the ground beneath the stairs. Thrang is at the top and is green. When you approach close enough (about where the lava stream is between the ground there and the ground at the base of the stairs), Thrang will aggro and start the fight. However, at this point you want to stay back and get organized to start the fight.
The fight has three basic phases. The first one is just the first few seconds of the fight, but we found it to be quite easy to wipe in, so I will mention it separately.
1. Start - Thrang is at the top of the stairs and will activate when you are close enough. In the first 2 phases, he will not move from that spot. Unlike the raid, however, he is plenty dangerous at this point. He also benefits from an exploit. While he can see and target you from up there (he uses a bow in phases 1-2), you will not have line of sight to him. The tank should use hover and H to create a Thrang target box. This will come in handy through the fight.
When you are ready to start the fight, your LM (if you have one, and this fight is MUCH easier with one) should put Stun Immunity (Sign of Power:Righteousness) on the tank. The tank will then charge across the lava stream and up the stairs to shout (fray, EOB etc) Thrang. As the tank does, Thrang will also start an induction. INTERRUPT IT! (This induction appears to be for his new special attack "Rage and Fury" (R&F) that is quite literally a group wiper. Thrang will then punt the tank back down the stairs. Expect this and be ready for it.
The rest of the group will come across after the tank. Melee dps should stay very close of the bottom of the stairs, and for the healers and ranged dps, a spot a bit up the left (as you are facing them) stairs is good, so long as you have line of sight. Positioning is very important due to fumaroles. Once the fight starts, fumaroles (those mini-volcano-looking things) will sprout on the solid ground. When they explode, they do considerable damage and they stun. You want to avoid that effect as much as possible. There is also a red ground fire puddle effect that appears occasionally that does damage and you need to avoid as much as possible. This may be associated with an exploding fumarole.
2. A few seconds after the fight starts, the first wave of adds will spawn at the door at the top of the stairs and run down both sides of the stairs. The tank will run back down and grab as many of these as possible. Phase two will simply be killing these adds for 2-4 waves. The adds look very much like the adds in the rift raid, except the waves are more mixed. They include defilers (you don't get the wave of 4 shamans as in the raid thank goodness), warriors, archers and summoners which summon worms.
Trash mob priority is defilers first, summoners second, archers third and warriors last. A good champ can AOE down the trash while the group FFs the defilers. As always, keep an eye on the archers as they will target the healers. Mezz or range tank if the tank can't easily aggro them.
The tank will need to check on Thrang occasionally to see when he switches to the healer and if necessary run back up to shout again. (This is where the hover target come in handy) I found I was able to keep him on my guard for much of this phase with AOE threat skills but eventually the healer will likely pull him off. When the tank goes back up, he must watch for an induction and if one pops, interrupt again.
[Where you fight the adds in phase 2 is up to you, so long as you (1) keep the group from getting hit by fumaroles which spawn through the ground; and (2) stay within range of Thrang. We tested what would happen if we aggro'd Thrang then moved out of range to the other side of the arena. SSG added a nasty anti-exploit mechanism - Thrang's Rage and Fury special attack transferred to the defilers! The key thing is staying close enough together so your tank can aggro the trash and your healer doesn't get beat on. We found the stairs positioning worked well at this point. The tank must be alert to pull mobs coming down the top left to the group, while the mobs coming down the other side will generally have to run through the tank and can be picked up easily.]
3. The final phase starts with a message "Thrang has entered the fight (or fray?)" He runs down to the ground beneath the stairs and the party begins. This last phase is like the last phase of the raid fight, except more adds keep spawning and Thrang has a nasty attack. It appears adds spawn on a timer throughout the fight. Once Thrang enters the fight, he will begin spamming his R&F attack every once in a while. We think this attack is associated with his induction that can be interrupted. If R&F it goes off, every toon within range (around 15 meters or so) will get hit for a ton of damage, anywhere from 80K-100K depending on mits! You must interrupt this attack, or run from it. (20 meters seemed to be enough).
While the group kills or controls the adds, the tank begins the process of tanking and positioning Thrang. Thrang is virtually immune to damage except for a short period (10-15 seconds) when he is debuffed. There will be an icon showing his resistance to damage - its the first one on his bar. so get used to what it looks like. To debuff Thrang, the tank will pull Thrang next to a fumarole. When the fumarole explodes, it debuffs Thrang for a short time and all
deeps should concentrate on him. The invulnerability icon will disappear and he will get one that looks like a broken ankle (which unfortunately appears at the end of his bar rather than the beginning). Once the debuff wears off, the process begins again. The tank will have to move Thrang around to find spawned fumaroles, so the group may need to reposition throughout the fight.
What makes phase three most challenging is that the adds will continue to come, so total mob dps is higher. We moved most of the group to the ground across the lava stream (where we started the fight from worked best, as it gave the group time to pick up adds while the tank was dancing with Thrang.
To succeed in phase three and get the kills, you must manage all of the following:
1. Keep the tank alive while s/he dances with Thrang. A LM is very helpful here - otherwise the tank will get stunned at times, take more damage, not be able to reposition as quickly, and, worst case scenario, not be able to interrupt the R&F attack which will wipe half the group at 115. The LM should maintain SI on the tank at all times.
2. Maintain control of the adds, without letting them keep you away from dpsing Thrang when he is vulnerable. Adds should be farmed when Thrang is not vulnerable.
3. Avoid fumaroles and the red fire puddles. You may be able to stay positioned on the stairs as before, but the tank will have his attention on Thrang and not as free to pick up adds. The problem with this approach is that it will limit the number of fumaroles available to you and may prolong the fight.
4. Avoid R&F. The special attack occurs about every minute, more or less. While tanking I was able to interrupt it so long as I wasn't stunned. You need a backup for the tank on this if at all possible. (This is a must if there is no LM in the group).
5. Keep the group alive. Keep mobs debuffed and the tank stun immune so that mob damage is limited, and keep the healers backs' clear. Help healers out by being aware of and moving away from active fumaroles, stay out of lava streams (or the red ground puddles), and clear your dots as you get them.
Group Composition: At a minimum you need a main tank, a main healer and 2-3 Dps. Highly advisable is a LM (this fight is considerably harder without one, and a solid yellow LM is best at 115); some AOE dps, and something that can off-tank. An experienced tank will be able to control Thrang and most mobs, but the mechanics of the fight make it very hard for the tank to pick up everything, especially in phase 3. A captain or off-healer would also be helpful.
Note: I don't think the R&F attack appears in phases 1-2 except when the tank goes up to aggro Thrang. This suggests the attack requires a toon within melee range. The attack appears to be an AOE effect centered on Thrang's position and hitting everything within a certain range.
Gear: This fight is heavy in fire damage. Tactical mits at or near cap is really handy.
Anice: 2/18/19 - First completion of Anvil T1!
Joel: I will be on Anor for most of today. If anyone is on the Legendary Server and would like to be a part of the kin on there, send a /tell to Shasta.
Anice: Made it through boss 1 of Thikil T3 a little while ago as well! I'm calling that a win :)
Celordal: Bitz, Cel, & Maghir completed T2 Thrumfall a couple of days ago!
Celordal: Bitz, Cel, & Naffan completed Glimmerdeep T3 tonight!
Celordal: First kin completion of Thikil T2 tonight!
Joel: RunicKnights has now been set up on Ithil!
Celordal: Thanks to Salyia & Asterus for your help in completing Glimmerdeep T2!
Ootinni: You can't handle TotDT t2c!
Greatli: Lets do Throne of the Dread Terror T2 Guys!
Celordal: Got the gate open in Abyss T2 on Sunday August 12th!
Celordal: Runic Knights had our first successful Abyss T1 clear on July 22, 2018!
Runikid: Hiya all I hope all is well and I wish you all Long days and plesant Knights!
Nenro: Thank you very much Rosa! :-)
Rosalindia : you can get to the site again through the original domain name
Lily et al: The suprise is coming, the suprise is coming!
MaryJaye: anyone have a valid invite link for discord? pretty please and thank you! <3
Tyrabella: As I see it, the Secret can only be one of two things.. a) a Green Bay Packers Cheesehead hat cosmetic or b) a war-hamster mount..