Following are very general grouping guidelines RKC uses. Replying to this post informs us that you have read and understand these guidelines but that you also wish to be included and work towards challenging endgame content.
1a. PREPARE YOUR CHARACTER: You never know when a fellowship will form so try to keep potions (morale, power, poison, disease, wound and fear), scrolls, food (cooked: in-combat, trail and fortifying), and tokens on hand. For scheduled raids, instances and skirmishes have previously mentioned items ready and have armor repaired with bags empty at start time. Don't underestimate the importance of consumables; they give a nice boost in group situations. (For crafting help see RKmart)
1b. PREPARE YOUR SETTINGS: When it comes to high-level group play there are many in-game settings that need to be turned on. In-game voice (or discord), target assist, target forwarding, selection’s vitals, directional indicator, chat window, and lag are things you can change with settings. (Setting Instructions)
2. LISTEN: Pay attention to fellowship/raid chat and/or what the leader is telling the group. If you don’t have a microphone you should type your responses in the appropriate channel so the leader knows you heard. Having the ability to listen and communicate effectively in a group is very helpful.
3a. KNOW YOUR CLASS: (Pick your Main) Each class has their own strengths and weaknesses so figure out how you can best help the group with your class’s skills. Learning more about your class is always good. (Go to: Guardian, Champion, Captain, Warden, Hunter, Burglar, Minstrel, Runekeeper, Loremaster) How you use your skills is different in solo play than in group play so be ready to learn.
3b. KNOW YOUR ROLE: There is a great saying about grouping in MMOs: "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault. If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault. If DPS dies, it's their own fault." Group members will be assigned a role that will help the fellowship succeed. (Role Instructions) Carrying out your role to the best of your ability and class makes for a very effective group.
4. UNDERSTAND AGGRO: Aggro/threat is what the game program uses to figure out who the bad guys should attack. In summary, threat is the measure of how badly an enemy wants someone dead. Everything in battle from tricks, to damage, to healing causes threat. If you get attacked it is because you have aggro for that guy which can be random at times. Area of Effect (AoE) attacks cause threat on everyone in the area of effect so avoid those early in battle or when new enemies join (called adds). This way the tank has time to build up some threat and is able to hold aggro. (Threat 101)
#1 reason DPSing people should not to attack enemies attacking the healer: Enemies attack whoever has the highest threat. If the healer gets attacked it means he/she has more threat than the person the enemy was attacking before them (which should be the tank). To get the enemy to attack someone different they need to get more aggro than the healer. If, say, a hunter gets that aggro it only means the tank has to get even more aggro on that enemy before it starts attacking him/her. This is aggro the tank could/should have been using to keep other enemies attacking him/her instead of the healer. Which because the healer was attacked in the first place means that aggro was already on the low side and can lead to a wipe. However if the main assist is looking for a new troublesome target the one on the healer can always be the next one to be mowed down. Crowd Control people could also do something but they need to let the tank know because stuns and dazes don't last forever. Flexibility and understanding how things work makes for even more effective game play.
5. KNOW THE STRATEGY: Let the tank begin battles. The reason the tank starts the battle is because whoever attacks first gets initial aggro from the whole group of enemies and this is good for the group. The general strategy is to have all the enemies attack the tank (usually the top person in the assist window) while everyone else except the healer focuses on eliminating enemies as fast as possible. The main assist (usually the second person in the assist window) is the main damage person and is in charge of focusing the attacks of the group. DPS and support roles should attack whoever the main assist attacks (assist window is very helpful for this) without getting attacked themselves. The reason for all this is because having 6 enemies attack the person with the most armor makes for the least amount of total healing, thus less healing aggro and less chance the healer dies. The reason we focus attacks on one target is because 4 half dead enemies cause more damage than 4 enemies where 2 have full health and 2 are dead which means also mean less healing aggro. The main assist is assigned to select targets because the tank will be switching targets a lot to keep aggro. Summary – keep the healer alive which means letting the tank do his job so that DPS/support can do theirs without dying. (Read More)
6. KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND HAVE FUN: This is a game and it should be fun. If you are not having fun find something you enjoy and do it. Dying is part of on-level group play and that is why 5 classes are able to revive people and some can even do it in battle (captains, minstrels) so don’t get discouraged. If your repair bill is too much I will cover your repair bill (Bitz). Take every death as a learning experience and recognize that we can always try again. Our goal is to have fun and in RKC we enjoy teaching and learning how to play in a groups which is another reason you should sign this so we can include you more often. Some raids/instances take a wipe or two (or five) to learn how to beat so never give up until play time is over!
7. WHEN IN DOUBT ASK: There is a lot of information here and even more to be learned so if you have any questions just ask. No one will be kicked out of ta group for asking stupid questions all they might get is stupid answers. Links and other content are provided for your own future study. Highly recommended is the Role Instructions. It is great to have you in Runic Knights!
Lily et al: The suprise is coming, the suprise is coming!
MaryJaye: anyone have a valid invite link for discord? pretty please and thank you! <3
Tyrabella: As I see it, the Secret can only be one of two things.. a) a Green Bay Packers Cheesehead hat cosmetic or b) a war-hamster mount..
Lily et al: Hmm, I wonder what this means? "Something secret will become available on March 21st. Good luck!" -Today's update notes
Lily et al: LFM: 2/6 to explore Middle Earth all over again! First session 2/19/17 @8pm server. More info here, or contact Lily(Jofost) or Abarian.
Lily et al: Hearts A'Fyre on Saturday beginning at 2pm. There will be eight great bands, including our own RKO
Tyrabella: lotro store sale: Eriador questpack bundle 75% off (save 3000 LP)
Anice: Winterfest Concert on Crickhollow Dec 15-17th! Go support some fellow musicians :)
Lily et al: Huge LOTROmarket discount: Helms Deep $6, Rohan $3, Isenguard $3, Moria $3, Mirkwood $1.50 Now through Monday 11/27
Asterus: Bak atcha! ;-)
Rosalindia : Boo!
Lily et al: An article that sounds like it was written for dwarves! How to Name Your Beard: http://www.dictionary.com/e/s/beards/#badass-beards
Lily et al: Don't forget to put in your requests for Kinstock! http://runicknights.org/forum_threads/2732378
Anice: Be safe! Make sure your solar glasses meet the safety standard (https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters)!
Nenro: The Eclipse is coming! The Eclipse is coming!
Anice: Only 2 days left for the Anniversary Scavenger Hunt! Definitely not panicking :D
Joel: Happy 4th to our fellow American knights!